Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Movies

Sure, everyone loves to go to the movies and see their new "favorite" flick on the big screen. I cannot see any drawbacks of taking some time out to enjoy the best that the industry has to offer on a screen that can truly handle the special effects and sound. Well, that was until I got a look at the price on the ticket that I had to purchase to get into the theatre. Maybe its because I remember just 10 years ago saying that 6 dollars was high, but my 13 dollar ticket to see Avatar in 3D was approaching my breaking point. I had the pleasure of reading an article in USA today this past week and I have to say, I do not see the industry stopping at the price that i just paid. When I can now purchase the movie on DVD from a legitimate outlet - as opposed to just downloading the movie from the internet like I have heard of happening far too often this decade - for just 2 more dollars, I am having trouble rationalizing the pricing. I understand that the theatre has an awe about it with the surround sound and HD quality picture, but I would almost rather put up a few bucks for my own surround sound and just enjoy the movies on my own time. I think it is time the movie industry wakes up and realizes that people have a breaking point on movie pricing, and that constant price increases are keeping people from enjoying all of the theatrical greatness that is out there today.

No comments:

Post a Comment